Del Monte Southwestern Taco Salad
|01/29/2013||Posted by Tricia under Giveaway, RECIPES|
I love trying to put together new ingredients to create new recipes, sometimes I really score a flavorful meal that we add to our weekly rotation. This time my meal creativity was inspired by Del Monte. Del Monte has just added 2 new flavors of Southwestern Style petite tomatoes. Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies and Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes with Chipotle. Chilies.
I put together a delicious Mexican Salad. I love a little kick in my food but I don’t like it to spicy. Hubby on the other hand he loves it when his mouth is on fire. The Soutwestern Taco Salad meal I created was a happy medium for both of us.
Doesn’t that look tasty? I was really quite surprised that it only had a little kick to it and wasn’t too spicy. I made it with beef rice and ground chuck adding in a half a can of both Del Monte Petite Tomato cans. I was worried about the flavor being a little too spicy for me so I used beef rice instead of Spanish rice. I can’t wait to try it with the Spanish rice next time.
- 1/2 can (drained) Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1/2 can (drained) Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes with Chipotle Chilies
- 1 lbs of Lean Ground Chuck
- 1 pkg of Lipton Beef Rice or Spanish Rice (your preference)
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sour cream
- 1 Cup of Shredded (4) Cheese Mexican
- Seasoning: Garlic, Salt, pepper, accent, Chili powder (to season to flavor)
1. Add ground chuck to frying pan season to flavor. Mix together with spoon or hands ( usually use my hands because it helps to mix it throughout the meat) .
2. Fry meat until cooked using a spatula to break the meat down smaller mix. Drain Fat.
3. Next open up your 2 cans of Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes and drain them adding half of each can to the cooked ground meat and heat.
4. While that heats take your package of Beef Rice or Spanish Rice and cook according to the directions ( I used to microwave for a faster meal).
5. Once meat and Del Monte diced cut tomato mixture is heated together add shredded Four Cheese Mexican to the mix. You can 1/2 cup or the whole bag depending on how cheesy you like it . Sprinkle some over the top.
6. On plate spread out shredded lettuce. Spoon mixture of Rice on top.
7. Then add your beef, tomatoes, and cheese on top. I used a ice cream scooper.
8. Add teaspoon of sour cream
9. Can be used as a dip with Chips or stand alone meal.
*note neither me or my husband likes onions or jalapeno’s but they can be added to spice things up
This meal is simple and quick just the way a busy mom likes it.
The new Del Monte Southwestern-Style Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes are the perfect way to spice up main dishes and snacking recipes. We’ve enjoyed Del Monte fresh fruits and vegetables for years. Del Monte canned tomatoes, fruits and vegetables contain the same essential nutrients as fresh varieties. The majority of Del Monte products are picked at the peak of ripeness and canned on the same day, to ensure nutrients and flavor are locked in.
disclosure: The Del Monte products, information and two gift packs have been provided by Del Monte. the recipe and thoughts are 100% my own.