Gift cards have become the number one way to gift giving made simple. But the one major issue with them is that they can get lost, missed placed or stolen. Recently I have been on the search for a Best buy Gift card that I thought I had lost. I declared my self a scattered brain and hunted for 5 months. Then I came across the packing invoice that came with the gift card and was able to track it down. Here’s how I did it and I hope it will help someone else.
5 Tips to Recovering Lost Stolen Gift Cards
1. When you received the gift cards immediately write down the retailer gift card number, expiration date and 3 digit code on the back. You’ll also want to write the number of the retailer *should u need to activate the card or just in case you misplace it and need a replacement card. Keep this information in a safe place you can always use Google doc in your Google account with protected password.
Trust me on this you’ll Thank me later. Just a few simple steps to insure they are used by you. As you use them you can delete the information from your file or check on balance to make sure they are at a 0 balance.
2. Lost Card? NO worries. By keeping track of the Gift card account numbers, expiration date and 3 digit code you can easily make purchases online and do not need the gift card in hand. This makes your step to purchasing power as easy as 1, 2, 3.
3. Keep purchasing receipts: By using the purchasing receipt or your invoice you have a paper trail to recovering your gift card. Some retailers keep transactions on file and are able to track down your card using the phone number and credit card number used to purchase the original gift card.
4. Have membership cards or reward cards to stores: Stores like Best Buy and Sam’s club have membership cards as well as many others have reward cards that can be used to check purchasing trails. By checking your membership number retailers have access to any and all purchases made using your card. IF by chance the gift card is used in combination with your rewards card you can easily trace back the purchase to someone making it that is either in your home or knows you.
5. Most Important. Do not leave your gift cards laying around were they can be easily taken. Always keep them in a safe place such as your jewelry box, in an envelope under your mattress or in your favorite book or another unsuspecting place.
Don’t wait weeks to check into your misplaced card. Call retailer to inquire about getting a new card as soon as you suspect it’s lost or stolen. They may charge you a small fee but it would be worth it.
You should always be able to go through life trusting those that you love and love you. Unfortunately life isn’t always this way. Know that sometimes temptation and the “greed” outweighs their love for you and morals. I hope you should never have to go through a situation where a loved one or someone you know steals from you, but I do hope that my tips above will save you from hours of crying and heartbreak.