15 Interesting Facts You Should know about Milo Murphy’s Law. An Interview With Dan Povenmire & Jeff “Swampy” Marsh
From the creators of Phineas and Ferb, Dan Povenmire & Jeff “Swampy” Marsh, comes Disney Channel’s animated television program Milo Murphy’s Law. Let me start off with saying that Murphy’s Law is “anything that can go wrong will go wrong” which you have to know is going to be a great direction for this exciting brand new adventure for kids and adults to sit and enjoy together.
Interviewing Dan Povenmire & Jeff “Swampy” Marsh was absolutely an inner fan girl moment. Back 5 yrs ago I met them in person right here in Chicago at the Perry the Platapus Event at Navy Pier. Being a family that are huge fan of Phineas and Ferb and also being able to bring my kids to meet the creators made it a really, really great day. They are two of the greatest down to earth guys and so entertaining especially in person.
I’ve always loved Phineas and Ferb and it’s a show that my kids and I sit and laugh at together and now the show is currently on re-runs since June, 2015 so it’s only natural Dan and Jeff would come up with something brand new, exciting, and just as entertaining. It’s just in their nature.
You are going to love Milo’s Murphy’s Law for simply this.
The reason they created Milo and part of the reason why they have him dealing with stuff that goes wrong is to show kids that when things do go wrong you can find another direction to go in “things go wrong in your life, don’t let it ruin your day, much less your life. Find the positive spin on it.”
This show will create dialog between you and your kids. Funny conversations starters and always a laugh. It’s main characters Milo always expects the unexpected. He is prepared for anything that comes his way. He has two friends that also go on adventures with him as well as his family. He also has a dog name “Diogee” pronounced D-O-G. lol Isn’t that the best?!
I love that the shows that Jeff “Swampy” Marsh and Dan Povenmire co-create together. They’re personality shines in their characters and another reason for putting this show together is the one of the reason why we all love it, “They wanted to bring back family viewing to the family.” and they say, “It’s always nice to make people laugh.” Now that warms my heart.
Having worked on 1 show for 10 years they said it was strange working with new characters on Milo Murphy’s Lawn, almost as if they were cheating on Phineas and Ferb.
1. Some of the Characters are modeled after their friends and family
- The Character “Melissa” in Milo Murphy’s Law actually looks like Dan Povenmire daughter Melissa.
- Dan’s oldest Daughter Isabella is a character in Phineas and Ferb but it doesn’t look like her because she wasn’t born yet and she’s actually looks like her cousin.
- Dan’s Wife actually looks like the Milo’s Mom character but only because she cut her hair short like the character and now everyone thinks he drew her to look like his wife but originally he didn’t. He says, “It’s just a coincidence.”
- Jeff’s gran-kids show up as characters in Milo Murphy’s Law because he likes the funny things that they do.
- Milo’s character is modeled after a friend
2. Song for Milo is actually a song that was wrote for Phineas but Dan changed the words making up a Weird AL version and it works cause Weird Al Yankovich sing it.
3. They look to their fans online to see what is being “quoted”. What kids are going to be talking about Monday morning in school. The Monday Morning Gag
4. They steal moments from their life to come up with parts for the show.
5. Auditioned hundreds of people for Milo. Auditioned kids, seasoned voice actors but they wanted someone who just sounded positive. Weird Al Yankovich fits that voice. Best part is they write these songs and Weird Al sings them and Dan says his High School self just says, “weeee”
6. We (Mom Bloggers) surprised Dan and Jeff with laughing at a part while watching Milo Murphy’s Law that they didn’t realize was funny. (we’re good like that)
7. Jeff “Swampy” Marsh didn’t get into animation until he was 28.
8. Jeff Swampy Marsh likes finding kids “that are out there, looking for somebody to say, “You know, hey, this doodling and storytelling you do? Or singing funny songs? There is a place for you out there that do that.”
9. Keep an eye out for the Dr. Zone references they’ll be throughout the season and a big reference in the finale.
10. Dan and “Swampy” used Post-it notes to try and plan the season out and they papered 3 or 4 rooms with them trying to make everything connect and work.
11. Have worked ahead on Episodes and came up with something good and wanted to go back in to a previous episode leaving a teaser so it comes out in a further episode down the road to make them look more intelligent. (this is the part where we all laugh- too funny)
12. Dakota(Dan Povenmire) and Cavendish(Jeff “Swampy” Marsh) wasn’t originally part of the original writings. They added them because the writers were used to cutting away to something like they did in Phineas and Ferb with Perry and Doofenshmirtz.
13. “Swampy” was talking to this guy in College and the guy wanted him to call his dad as “Monogram” to have Dad send him more money and Jeff called. And the Dad sent his son more money. It was great because the kids and his dad used to watch the show together and they had this thing. So it helped the kid out.
14. This show is great because we can laugh at the things kids laugh at and we can also laugh at things kids just won’t get. Making sure that if the adult is laughing that it won’t make it an uncomfortable conversation if you have to explain what it is that your laughing at. Opening up even more conversation.
15. Advice from Dan and Jeff “Swampy” for kids who love to doodle: “Throw away your erasers. There’s 10,000 bad drawings in everybody. Your job is to get them out as fast as you can.” Draw with a sharpie it will keep you from fiddling with stuff, changing this changing that… more drawing more drawings. Create a book of them.
Here’s the main title sequence for Milo’s Murphy’s Law
And a sneak peak into an episode to peak your interest
**A little note about me. Before I started Blogging I worked at a local bar called, “Murphy’s Law”. 🙂
Thanks for stopping by.